I really was happy to head into town for a few things. The out of sorts feeling probably has more to do with the altitude sickness that I've been dealing with since Tuesday. It comes and goes so I'm sure it will pass soon.
Altitude sick or not, I was glad to be among humans and people were friendly. I had a nice lunch at Kip's Grill where Heather was a good source of local information. The TrueValue store is the epitomy of old-fashioned hardware store, pine floors scuffed and dull from not decades but generations of people with any need you can imagine. The Kentucky Belle Market, only grocery store for miles around, is family-owned and operated. I was given some good advice on how to help the altitude sickness. On the drive back to the ranch, I managed to take a few photos. The sky is on the hazy side but still gorgeous country.
Gorgeous country that does carry with it a few warnings. One bit of local news was that there was a mountain lion spotted in broad daylight at the Y where Middle Creek Road and Rt. 528 split. That is less than a mile from the ranch house so I'm basically hiking and walking William right in the big cat's territory. I will definitely be keeping my eyes open. With William by my side I don't worry too much but he's not the smartest about predators yet and I can't say I want to see him try to tangle with a lion. Part of me can't help but be excited at the possibility of getting a photo or two of a mountain lion but there's a whole host of concerns that run alongside the excitement. In my favor is the fact that I won't be running anywhere out there for it to see me as prey....hiking is about as fast as my creaky knees can go. (Mom, don't be worrying; mountain lions are shy and will steer clear of us.) However, I will be watching out for our little lambs even more diligently. I also heard about a momma bear and a couple cubs seen out in this territory. No wonder no one around here has little dogs.
My trip to the town of Creede is about 25 minutes, much of it running along the Rio Grande River. I really must get out to take pictures earlier in the morning to capture a bluer sky but I'm not exactly a 'wake at dawn' kind of person. Might have to push myself though as this is spectacular country made for photography.
I found out that this river is dam-controlled and a rafting company in town does trips on it. I might have to try to get in on a trip out here as long as I won't be away from the ranch for too long. At the moment, the river is pretty shallow and the landscape is quite dry. There are mountain peaks that are still snow capped and the forecast for Sunday evening says snow. I've been told things will probably green up in May. For now, it was a warm 70's with a strong breeze.
The river doesn't look like something powerful enough to make it all the way down to Mexico but as these are the headwaters it is just the beginning of this river's journey. At the height of the summer, this area becomes a popular spot for fly and regular fishermen, hikers, river runners and campers. My main thought is on running the river in a kayak or a raft. Another excuse for a trip into town will be swinging by Mountain Man Rafting Company where this East coast river rat will introduce herself to the Rocky Mountain river rats....pretty much it's a universal language.
It has been a full day and I'm ready for a nice soak in the big clawfoot tub that looks out of a bay window onto one of the many mountain ranges. All this fresh air, ranch chores and quiet serenity make for wonderful sleeping but a hot soak is the icing on the cake of a lovely day.
I love your description of Creede. It really does sound like you step back in time. Bears and mountain lions...made me think of an old movie I enjoy called Continental Divide. Typical rom-com, but with John Belushi (Yes!) and Blair Brown. If you get a chance - and you can endure the cheesy parts - the Rocky Mountain scenes and wildlife will feel like your life - as you are living it today! A funny factoid: one scene in this movie was filmed with Mt. Rainier as a backdrop - I must have watch-listened to the film 50 times (I play movies like other people play background music) and never saw that scene. Then one day, I look up and say aloud, "What the heck? That is my mountain!" I adore hiking up from Paradise to the wildflower fields and then to the ice fields where you can see the whole volcanic chain of mountains.
ReplyDeleteForget the movie! I want to go. Where is Paradise?
ReplyDelete